Saas Bahu Temple Udaipur
Saas Bahu Temple is an ancient temple built by Raja Mahipal of Kachchhav dynasty in the 10th century; This temple is located at Nagda village (Rajasthan), 23 km from Udaipur. This shrine is dedicated to Lord Vishnu – with many hands; Therefore, the original name of the temple is Sahastra-Bahu (common meaning multi-hand).
- It is believed that Raja Mahipal’s daughter-in-law was a follower of Lord Shiva and a believer and his wife, Lord Vishnu’s faith.
- Therefore, the king of Kachchhara dynasty decided to build two temples for each other for each owner.
- As these temples were adjacent and were made for Saas and Bahu, this was called Saas Bahu Temple. Saas means Saas in Hindi and Bahu is from Bahu.
- Attractive ancient architecture can be found in the temple.
Structure of Saas Bahu Temple
- There are two main temples in the premises – Bahu Chitra Mandir and Saas Bada.
- The Bahu temple is surrounded by 5 other religious places and the Saas temple is surrounded by 10 small temples.
- In front of the Saas temple, there is a torch gate, it is said that on the important occasions, the statue of Lord Vishnu was kept in the swing.
- There are 3 doors from 3 different directions in the temple complex and there is a room in the 4th direction, which is usually closed for tourists.
- At the entrance, you can keep statues of goddess Saraswati, Lord Bhrama and Lord Vishnu.
- The vast complex of the Saas-Bahu temple is spread over 22 meters in width and 32 meters in length.
- The beautiful carvings of the walls of the temple can be seen until the 10th century.
- As this temple was built a long time ago, only partial residues are left to admire, but no one can enjoy the excellent art of building these temples.
- The name of this entertaining temple is also in the list of the historic monuments of the Archaeological Survey of India.
The timing of Saas Bahu Temple
5:00 pm to 12:00 pm
4:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Open all day of the week.
There is no entry fee for going to this exquisite temple.
How did the saas Bahu temple reach?
From Udaipur city, you can take a bus or taxi for Nagda.
Distance from Udaipur: 23 km
Distance from Nathdwara: 30 km
Distance from Eklinji Temple: 2.7 km
- Plan a trip to the ancient Ekinji Temple and visit Sas Bahu Temple and Vaishnava Temple in Nathdwara on the same day.
- You can plan to stay at a resort near Nathdwara or Saas Bahu and Eklinji Temple.
- Between the attractions of nature, take your cameras together for picturesque places near the lake.
- Make sure that you coordinate the time of each temple before you arrive.